A TRUE dollar store sells everything for a dollar. In our area (TN) the Dollar Tree sells everything for a dollar where as the Dollar General has regular prices. For example: reading glasses or sunglasses are $1 at Dollar Tree and $8 to $12 at Dollar General.
I don’t suggest you buy scissors at a dollar store but you should be shopping there for 50% saving on many basics (pens, paper, paper towels, gift wrap, cleaning supplies, baby items, shampoo, etc).
Dollar stores get some inventory from product lines created just for discount stores. The other inventory are remnants from wholesalers, keeping prices super low.
- Snacks – We always stop at the dollar store on the way to the movies. Chips, crackers, and candy are generally about 50 percent less than grocery stores. About 300% less than the movie theater.
- Containers -The exact same 3 drawer plastic shelves I got for homeschool workboxes were $7 at the dollar store and $9 at Walmart. You can save up to 70% on plastic bins, fabric-lined baskets, food storage and glass jars and bottles.
- Children’s Books -Many Dollar stores have Bible story books and coloring books. I know someone who buys books at the dollar store to resell on Ebay for several dollars each.
- School Supplies – Save on paper, pencils, binders, pocket folders, textbook covers and organizers. Lapbook? You can get 12 folders for $1.
- Cleaning Products -Most dollar stores carry brand-name and off-brand cleaning products 60 – 70 % less than the grocery store.
- Gift Wrap – Gift bags, wrap, ribbons, bows and packaging are a at a fraction of the cost and the same quality as Walmart.
- Scrapbooking Supplies– Save 50% or more on scrapbooking packages, binders, stickers and paper over crafts stores. And on storage containers.
- Kitchen Tools – I wouldn’t buy a paring knife at the dollar store but I got my potato masher and wooden spoons there. Big spoons, everyday serving utensils, spatulas, timers, measuring cups and spoons, are usually $1 each. Disposable items like plastic zipper and storage bags, paper towels, paper plates are also very reasonable.
- Baby Items -Dollar stores have every thing you need to put together an affordable baby shower basket. Rattles, bottles, bibs, receiving blankets, tiny barrettes, baby Tshirts, etc.
- Beauty Needs. – Don’t pay drugstore prices (or horror of horrors department store prices) for shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, deodorant, and shampoo. and body lotion. Consumer reports show shampoo and moisturizes work at $1 or $10.
For more ideas check out Free Decorating Ideas and Tips by The Dollar Store Diva
What is Your Favorite Dollar Store Deal?