I got so excited when I dound the Salad in a Jar idea.
- Saves money – Use up all the veggies before they go bad.
- Saves time – make all the salads in one day for a week.
- Prevent messy kitchen – chop and dice everything once a week instead of daily.
- Creates quick grab and go meals so I eat healthier more often.
1. Gather Your Favorite Raw Vegetables
2. Gather Meats, Cheeses and Nuts
I made my salad the day after my hubby grilled steak and chiken so I added leftover meat.
3. Fill the Jars
1. Dressing ( I didn’t put dressing in my jars. But you may want to if you travel to work).
2. Hearty items: cherry tomatoes, chick peas, onions, carrots
3. Lighter items, feta, pine nuts, water chestnuts
4. Lettuce mix (I use Romaine, spinach, cabbage)
This photo from likecook.com shows the layering.
4. Seal the Jars
5. Pop them in the Fridge
Yes, they do take up a shelf in the fridge. But my vegetable bins aren’t overflowing with browning lettuce.
I made nine jars for myself and my salad loving son.
Final Step: Enjoy
Eat the salads within five days. Here I added avocado (I didn’t want to add avocado to the jars becasue they brown quick) and dressing to a steak, blue cheese salad.
If you prefer a bowl to jars see the Rainbow Salad post.