I’m quilting again after a 23 year break. I am working on this easy peesy Double Sliced Layer quilt. It’s been a great refresher to get back into machine quilting. So here is a free tutorial to make this fun, scrappy quilt.
One 42 slice Layer Cake makes a lap throw. You’ll need more for a larger quilt.
- No Quilt Pattern Needed!
- Sewing Basics: sewing machine, iron, pins, tape measure, seam ripper, etc.
- One Layer Cake Pack (I used a a standard 42-piece Layer Cake pack; if you choose not to use a Layer Cake, you’ll need to cut 42, 10″ x 10″ squares):
- 2¼ yards of 44″+ wide coordinating backing fabric
- Batting (appx 58″ x 58″ square)
- Rotary Cutter and Mat
- Quilting Ruler
- Machine Quilting Thread (color to match your backing)
I used Prairie Paisley Layer Cake from Moda (42 slices) to make a lap size throw (or a baby quilt). Add an additional Layer Cake for a larger quilt. You can also add borders to make a larger quilt.
- Step 1. Use a rotary cutter to cut 6.5″ strips from each Layer Cake slice (10 inch square) to give you two strips: a 3.5″ and a 6.5″. Keep the fabrics in order. Cut 4 or 5 at a time.Create two stacks with the different size strips.
- Step 2. Flip one of the stacks you cut upside down (for random patterns). Then sew the strips back into blocks with 1/4 inch seam allowance. If you run into two similar fabrics of the same color, then switch them out. Press seams.
- Step 3. Once all your blocks are sewn together cut each in half at 5″.
- Step 4. Make two stacks. Flip the first stack uppside down and pull one piece from each stack to sew together with 1/4 inch seam allowance making sure the smaller strips are on opposite ends. Press seams.
- Your blocks should finish at 9.5″. Now you have 42 (from one Layer Cake) delicious blocks no two alike!
- Step 5. Trim your blocks to the smallest block size (close to 9 to 9.5″). Arrange your blocks on the floor by alternating vertically and horizontally. Check to make sure you don’t have the same fabrics touching each other. Piece into rows. Sew rows together.
- Add 2″ binding for a 54×54″ quilt.
What is it about quilts that attracts cats?
You don’t need a pattern. Just watch this video on creating a Double Layer Cake.