We have a vegetable garden but no strawberries. So we picked strawberries at Valley Home Strawberry Farm.
If you plan on visiting a pick your own strawberry farm these tips will help.
- Wet picked strawberries mold within HOURS! Can you guess how we found out? We picked right after a rain. The next day I had to throw out a dozen quarts of moldy berries!! If you pick wet berries lay them out on a single layer to dry.
- Strawberries quickly mold at room temperature, and only last a couple of days in the refrigerator.
- Unripe berries will not ripen once picked. These are not tomatoes, you cannot fry green strawberries.
- Freeze berries that you can not use right away – just wash, cut the hulls off and put in a vacuum food sealer. They will keep for months.
- Be sure the cap remains on the strawberry by pinching the stem between the thumb and forefinger. This will prevent damage to both the fruit and the strawberry plant
- Fresh or frozen strawberries are super in Green Smoothies!
- Always wash fruit before eating. (Pay no attention to the woman eating the strawberry before washing in the photo below.)
Will you be picking berries this year?