I am in the process of planning my Square Foot Garden. This concept is brilliant.
It involves creating 4×4 raised beds. You never walk on your garden only the paths between. Conventional gardening demands using heavy work to loosen the soil, but here the soil stays loose. Weeding is easy too because of the soil.
- Almost no weeds, easy weeding
- No rototiller
- You can customize soil mixture for each bed
- Increased productivity per square foot
- Less watering (water only plants no paths)
- Improved soil drainage
- Beds warm quicker so you can plant earlier and extend your season
- No thinning (plant fewer seeds)
- Better pest control
- Ability to quickly chance soil or plans
This Video Introduces Square Foot Gardening
My past gardens were in traditional rows that demanded a lot of weeding, and rotter tiller. When contemplating a garden this year I had to take my health into consideration. Some days I don’t have the energy to work outdoors. I am so excited I found Square Foot Gardening.
Here is my garden plan using the trail version of Growveg.com
- Layout: Grow vegetables in squares, not rows. Begin with a 4′ x 4′ box.
- Boxes: Build simple boxes that will hold soil above the ground. (untreated lumber)
- Aisles: Leave a minimum of 3′ between boxes for walking between rows.
- Soil: Mix together 1/3 good compost, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 coarse vermiculite.
- Grid: Make a grid with twin in each box measuring 1′ x by 1’squares.
- Select: Use a variety of crop, plant, herbs or flowers in each square foot.
- Plant: Read the instructions regarding spacing on the seed packet, and accordingly, plant 1, 4, 9 or 16 crops or plants per grid square. Plant up to 3 seeds or plants per hole.
- Water: Water your plants directly at their base.
- Harvest: After each harvest, add compost.
Photos from Flickr
Square Foot Gardening Videos
Don’t have a grandpa nearby to teach you to garden. Not to worry. You have YouTube!
- Mel Bartholomew’s Videos (Creator of Sg Ft Gardening, severqal videos including FAQs)
- Donna’s Square Foot Gardening (very motivating. 16 videos step-by-step)
- How to Plant Square Foot Gardens (a dozen videos from Expert Village)
More about Square Foot Gardening
- Building a Square-Foot Garden
- How to Build a Square Foot Garden by Frugal Dad
- Our square-foot gardening experience
- Square-foot Gardening Forum
- Tim’s Square-Foot Gardening Page
If you don’t have the space for Sq Ft Garden, consider container gardening.
- Texas A&M University: Vegetable gardening in containers
- Garden Guides: Guide to container gardening
- West Virginia University extension service: Container gardening
- Arizona Master Gardener manual: Vegetable garden: Container garden
- Virginia Tech extension service: Four keys to successful container gardening
I’ll post more with photos when I get my boxes put together.
Visit Works for me Wednesday at We Are That Family for lots of motivating ideas.
- 10 Minutes to a Sparkling Clean Bathroom
- Vinager: The Wonder Cleaner
- Get Rid of Refrigerator Clutter
- Organizing Computer Cables
- Devotional for the Disorganized
- Get Rid of Cord Clutter With a Recharging Station