Basic White Sauce
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- Melt butter over low heat.
- Blend flour into the melted butter.
- Add salt.
- Cook over low heat, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking slowly until smooth and thickened.
- It will thicken as it cools.
- Thin if desired by adding more milk.
- Adding 1 small onion studded with a bay leaf, and a grating of nutmeg for more flavor
Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast
Veterans know this meal as SOS. I won’t explain why. I have always used peas in this recipe. I can’t imagine it without them.
- 5 (2 ounce) packages thinly sliced dried beef
- 16 oz frozen peas (cooked according to directions)
- Loaf of bread – homemade is best
- Make white sauce above doubled.
- Add chipped beef cut into strips.
- Add peas.
- Serve over lightly buttered toast.