I make a huge pot of quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah) each week and keep it in the fridge as a base to add to three or four times a week. You can use it like you would pasta or rice, but it is more nutritious. You can add different ingredients such as feta, chicken, fish or different vegetables to change it up. For a quick lunch I add tomato and avocado. At the end of this post is my favorite veggy packed quinoa recipe. (If you had quinoa and it was bitter–it was not rinsed well. You can buy pre-rinsed quinoa in a box on your rice isle in any grocery store).
While quinoa is usually considered to be a whole grain, it is actually a seed, but can be prepared like whole grains such as rice, couscous, barley–but MUCH healthier. 1/3 cup of cooked quinoa has 160 calories, 2.5 grams of fat, 3 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein.
- Quinoa is a packed with protein: It contains all essential amino acids making it a complete protein. One cup of quinoa has about as much protein as two deli slices of chicken breast.
- Quinoa’s high magnesium content promotes cardiovascular health. One serving of quinoa contains 48% of daily magnesium requirements.
- Quinoa can help reduce cholesterol.
- Quinoa is quick and easy: it can be cooked in less than 12 minutes
- Quinoa is delicious and versatile. Use it like any rice dish, casseroles, deserts, breakfasts, and more.
- Quinoa promotes healthy bone growth: Quinoa contains all nine essential amino acids used by the body as building blocks for the development of muscle tissue and necessary metabolic enzymes.
- Quinoa can help prevent gallstones.
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 cup broccoli diced
- 1 cup cauliflower diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (I use brand with the Mother)
- juice from one lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tb Mrs Dash
- When serving add: 1/2 Avocado, 3 Roma tomatoes (cut in half on top per serving
- In a medium-large saucepan, cook the quinoa in vegetable broth for 15-20 minutes, until tender, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool., onion and garlic
- Stir fry broccoli, cauliflower, carrots
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil.
- Gently toss the quinoa together with the remaining ingredients, except feta. Pour the olive oil mixture over the quinoa.
- Add seasoning and gently stir in the feta cheese.
- Serve on plate, top with tomatoes and avocado.