on Oct 11, 2011 in Recipes
Fall means perfect soup weather. This is my FAVORITE soup ever! I discovered it while doing a 21 day Daniel fast. So healthy and delicious. Make your own or try the V8 version below.
- 1 butternut squash (sold already diced and bagged in many produced departments.)
- 1 large onion
- 1 ripe tomato
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 can vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1-2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, or more, to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Pre-cut Butternut Squash
I admit cutting butternut squash is a pain, but pre-diced packages are avaialvle for a little more. If you use pre-diced squash – toss squash with olive oil and roast at 400 until tender (15 min or so).
If you use a whole squash, spread about 1 tablespoon vegetable oil on the bottom of a roasting tray and place the squash halves cut side-down on the tray. Roast for about 30 minutes. Flip over and let cool. Once cool enough to handle, scoop out all the flesh.
Add the other ingredients to the blender and blend on high for about 90 seconds or until blended to a smooth consistency. If you have a Blendtec blender, use the “Soups” button. Add squash and hit pulse until desired consistency. If needed heat before serving.
- Add some rice or black beans when blending is complete.
- For chunkier soup add additional diced tomato, celery, or whatever vegetables you have on hand.
- Add 1/2 cup apple juice for Apple Butternut Squash soup.
- Garnish a dollop of sour cream and chives on top before serving.
Pre-Made Butternut Squash Soup from V8
If you don’t have enough time to cook butternut squash soup you can purchase a healthy version from V8 available in most grocery stores. No artificial flavors. No preservatives. Just the delicious, vibrant taste of a full serving of vegetables with the nutritional goodness that goes along with it.
Even available online through Amazon.
Try it you will love it!
About the Author
Homeschool mom to 11, Marmee to 14 and author.