banner ad

Organizing Our Homeschool Area

I organized our homeschool area this week. Our “school room” is the dining room table. I used to keep everything in a near by closet to keep the clutter out of sight but its much easier having everything at hand.

We are homeschoolers, this is our lifestyle. My home will never look like a magazine ad.

I keep all the school books in my office or upstairs and bring them down as needed.

School Area (AKA Dining Room)

Temporary Shelves

The canvas containers hold math manulaptives, games, craft items,  etc.Sturdier plastic crates hold workbooks, coloring books, reading books, etc.

Books in my office waiting to come to school room when needed.

Computer Area (also AKA Dining Room)

Computer Area (also AKA Dining Room)

Workbook Crate

This is my ingenious invention for keeping work pages and work books in one  sturdy, easy to grab box. No more 20 minutes looking for a phonics book. Only current workbooks go in the crate. It slides easily on and off the bookshelves.

I use this crate for both boys. The workbooks are in the back and file folders in the front to file individual papers by math, spelling, phonics, etc.  No more lost pages once torn out from the workbook.

Workbook Crate

This has nothing to do with this post. David wanted to show off Shadow. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the Author

Homeschool mom to 11, Marmee to 14 and author.

Comments (29)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Sue says:

Oh, Robin, you look so organized – just looove the look of the shelves filled with books!!

I homeschool my 2 grandkids, 17 & 18 with the 18 year old graduating this year, so, as is the nature of homeschooling, there has been a flowing change year to year – How we approach things, how we/I organize, it all seems to be in a constant state of change.

One change I recently made was to reclaim our dining room. Our kitchen table is too small to do anything on, so the dining room became the place where everything happened. The result – we no longer had a table to eat at (nor chairs to sit on!) & that bothered me, a lot!

With the Lord’s prompting, I decide to reclaim the dining room to allow for those invaluable around-the-dinner-table discussions and re-connections. It has been wonderful and I know the kids are loving it! Many nights, we’re still sitting there talking at 10:30 about things weighing on their hearts.

So, where did all the “stuff” go – took a little creativity. I purchased an inexpensive, unassembled computer hutch (with doors that close!) to hold all my paperwork & of course the computer. This is now in the living room & with the doors closed, it looks great.

The kids each have a bookcase shelf of their own for notebooks, etc., in the family room. I have a couple of crates hiding beside the dining room hutch, holding books pertaining to current studies and lastly next to the family desktop computer & printer, a small hanging file to hold papers that are a work in progress.

So things are spread out, but because of their ages, it’s working. But the best part is the real-life education and relationship building that is taking place every evening. It is such a blessing!

2. I love how this looks and how easy it is to find everything you need! I start to get organized, then I get in a rush and things never get put back where they belong. I really have to spend some time putting everything into crates like you have. The kids’ toys are organized in crates, so now I have to get their school supplies organized in the same way. The crates make the supplies so much more portable. Our supplies are stored in my office currently and our school room is the living room, so I need to be able to move things back and forth easily. Thanks for the great pictures, too!

3. Lori says:

Thanks, Robin!
    I am inspired, as always, when visiting your site!

Off to find some crates!

Great pictures and such cute faces! :)

4. Jacque says:

:) This is a great post. I am soooo overwhelmed and bogged down with having furniture that was meant for the new addition to our home we started 6! years ago. And, we are so close, but not ready yet.
    Anyway, this has inspired me, and if I can get some time (when I FORCE some time into my schedule), I am going to implement them!
    I have much of the supplies, I just need to get them re-ordered.
    Thanks!

Please let David know that my Littles loved Shadow, and I was thankful for the diversion! :)

5. Allie says:

Thank you for posting more of your ever so helpful organizational tips! Your little boys are darling! Much cuter then Shadow. :)
    How blessed they are to be homeschooled by YOU! Creator of HOW!

6. Allie says:

PS,I have to say…my jaw dropped open when I saw kids sitting in the homeschool area at your old house! Goodness gracious you certainly own a lot of books! And it was incredibly organized.
    Very intimidating. :)

7. [...] of Heart of Wisdom, shows us a peek into her home in her article, Organizing Our Homeschool Area. Check out the ideas she has for organizing and using the space you have for your home school at [...]

8. Amazing job. It makes me want to come over and learn as well :) It looks like your kids have access to everything they would need.

9. Mom says:

I know what you mean about this being the lifestyle. I homeschool, too, and it’s unreal how much stuff we’ve accumulated.

Great job with keeping everything as neat as possible.

10. Deanna says:

I love that. Looks just like our house. We are in a double-wide mobile home…schooling 6 children with 2 waiting at the end of the table for their ‘big’ books.
    We have a wall unit desk set up opposite the dining room side of the main living area. Three bookcases and a shallow desktop at each. This is what I have for an ‘office area’ now for book-keeping on the homestead here. Our dining room table is the ‘school room’ and our walls are decorated with an 8×4 write-on/wipe-off board and an 8×4 bulletin board.
    In front of the bulletin board right now is our ‘greenhouse’ — 2 sets of shelves fitted with grow-lights :o) All our garden starts.

We are like you said — we homeschool. It’s our lifestyle. I don’t need a fancy Better Homes & Garden spread sheet for a house. LOL…don’t think with 9 children in total, and whatever grandchildren come up the ranks, we will ever get to that stage :o)
    I wouldn’t have it any other way!

Deanna

11. [...] organizing, I am going to be following Robin’s ideas for crates and workbooks on her article: Organizing Our Homeschool Area. You won’t be disappointed, of [...]

12. Sharon says:

My classroom (for my two boys) is in the dinning room as well. And ironically, I have the same system set you have going on. The three black shelving units (only I have only two) and then the file crates. Makes me feel like a better mommy (hehe) and better in general.

Thanks for sharing!

Sharon

13. Francesca erazo says:

I’ve enjoyed this thread. I use my kids bedroom as a “school room”. The whole family likes to sleep together, so we had the extra bedroom for quiet play and all supplies.
    Unfortunately I don’t have the liberty to use my living room or dining room since we have so many guest and hold meetings at least twice a week. I don’t want to constantly be cleaning and picking up. Our family room is completely clear with only a piano, we use it for dancing and worship–a very much part of homeschooling. For now that’s working but I like changes just for the fun of it too.

14. mychi says:

When are you coming to my house and organize my mess?

15. Tanya says:

I am googling for ideas to set up our homeschool space and found your site. I just wanted to say that our cat looks exactly like yours (only fatter) and his name is also Shadow.

16. Organize your homeschool area: http://tinyurl.com/cvqrjn

17. { jamie } says:

I’ve been trying to decide whether to move our school from the dining area to an upstairs room, or keep it where it is. Either way, I need more bookshelves. The dining area is more convenient, but we also get sidetracked more easily. Love the idea of the crates; think I’ll have to do that either way! ♥

18. Rachel says:

Love your Shadow, we have a the same breed of cat named Skye.

Oh and love that you are organised, a continuing challenge for me lol!!!

19. Scrapaddictof3 says:

I will be homeschooling for the first time this fall & googled for ideas for setting up my homeschool area. Your site is a gem. What wonderful organizational tips. The workbook crate is one I definitely will be implementing. Seeing your pics and the way you have organized gives me something to strive toward creating in my own home. What a blessing your site is. Thank you! Shadow is beautiful.

20. Sisterlisa says:

I like the cloth boxes you have in the shelves. I need to get my area a bit more cleaned up before I can show pics. :P

21. @songofmyheart I’ve been oganizing our homeschool area too http://bit.ly/2Ku2jE and reading books http://bit.ly/f0COH

22. Tami Minor says:

Thanks for sharing your talent and insights with us. I am grateful!

23. Thank you for linking up to my Show me your homeschool link up!Come back next week & link up to my Show & Tell link up – link up your favorite homeschool lesson (artwork, craft, lapbook, etc – whatever you choose!) Enjoy your week!

24. Organizing Homeschool Area http://ow.ly/2ttyt

25. April says:

Hi,
    Wow you have a lot of books, Thats awesome. Great schoolroom
    Have a blessed week.
    April

26. stacy says:

Love it but would like to know exactly what you put in the folders that are labled with each subject/child’s name in the crate. Do you put in papers that need to be done or papers that need to be graded. This is what I struggle with in organizing. thanks

27. Thank you so much for sharing. You have given me some great ideas. I also loved your reminder that homeschooling is a way of life. I needed that reminder today as I am organizing our homeschool room and feeling a little overwhelmed. I think at times I get so bogged down with wanting everything to be functional and still wanting it to be decorative and cute at the same time. It can be hard to find the balance and I know at times I can loose myself in the process. Thanks for sharing! ; )

28. Robin says:

I love your room and your bookshelves are so wonderful!! I hope to expand our shelving in the near future. Thank you for hosting the hop! Praying for your health.

29. Memo Monday says: