banner ad

Frugal Friday: Buy Meat in Bulk

Meat is probably the best item you can buy in bulk to save money. I buy meat and poultry in large quantities at Sam’s Club or when on sale at the grocery store (10 lb. hamburger, chicken legs, etc). Then I repackage it into smaller quantities that are easily removed from the freezer and used on demand.

If you need to weigh the meat you can use a postal scale. I usually store meat portions in Vacuum Sealed Bags, but my machine broke recently so in this photo I am using freezer bags. I divide the hamburger, then shape into a log so I can roll the air out and conserve space in the freezer. Don’t forget to date your packages.

What do you buy in bulk?

Today on the Heart of Wisdom Blog: My Mouth Needs a Backspace.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the Author

Homeschool mom to 11, Marmee to 14 and author.

Comments (13)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Penny Raine says:

We do this too Robin, and we buy all of our staples in bulk, flour, sugar, oatmeal.
    Buying 10 pounds of chicken leg quarters works especially good for us, $6 here.

ps… you see the price of gas today? $1.95 here

blessings, Penny Raine

2. Holly says:

I have not branched out into bulk purchasing yet…maybe I need to give it a try. Thanks for your comment on my blog!

3. Beth says:

We just started doing this at BJ’s and it has really helped me to lower the grocery trips and prices.

4. Sonshine says:

I love buying meat, baking supplies, and other items that my family seems to go through alot of in a month’s time in bulk!

Thanks for stopping by! :)

5. Mrs. Jo says:

I wrote about this today on my blog! However, I cook the meat first if I can and then I have a bunch of quick-to-grab cooked meats.

Great post!

6. Kathleen says:

Hi Robin – I do this too and it does save money. I don’t roll mine in a log, though. I flatten it out so there is a lot of surface area and that way it takes less time to defrost when I pull it out of the freezer later.

7. Arielle says:

I recently went in with some friends and bought a whole cow. The meat is really tasty, local, lean, and missing lots of chemicals. Well, we don’t miss them really! It was all $3.72/LB including the expensive cuts like tenderloin! I cooked some of the ground and froze in baggies and the rest is nicely packaged in the freezer. No worries about beef prices or recalls for us!

8. P* says:

We also buy ground beef and chicken in bulk at Sam’s. I usually brown all the ground beef when we get it home, and then separate it into smaller bags for the freezer. Occasionally, I’ll make a meat loaf with a portion of the fresh beef, and brown the rest. This is a huge time saver for me! It makes it SO easy to pull out and throw into the crock pot for spaghetti sauce, chili, etc….especially when we’re camping. :grin:

9. [...] Frugal Friday Buy Meat in Bulk Posted by root 18 hours ago (http://www.heartofwisdom.com) Comment by sonshine i love buying meat baking supplies and other items that my all rights reserved powered by wordpress wordpress themes xhtml Discuss  |  Bury |  News | frugal friday buy meat in bulk [...]

10. [...] Frugal Friday Buy Meat in Bulk Posted by root 5 minutes ago (http://www.heartofwisdom.com) I usually store meat portions in vacuum sealed bags but my machine broke recently comment by p we also buy ground beef and chicken in bulk at sam items that my all rights reserved powered by wordpress wordpress themes xhtml discuss site tags 10 minutes to Discuss  |  Bury |  News | Frugal Friday Buy Meat in Bulk [...]

11. Brandi says:

I buy anything in bulk that I can afford. We are a family of 6 so everything needs to be in large amounts :) I like your site and I will come back

12. Dani says:

I recently bought a meat grinder at Harbour Freight for $40 and have been loving it!! I found super cheap pork roasts, ground it up, added some seasonings, vacuum sealed it…and had my own italian sausage! I’ve done the same when Safewy has their B1G1 free beef roasts! I can usually buy it for around $2/lb, cut off the big pieces of fat and have very lean ground beef for a fraction of the cost!