banner ad

Yummy Oatmeal Toppings

A heart healthy oatmeal breakfast works for me. Children will warm up to oatmeal if you let them put on “Sundae” type toppings. I keep raisins and nuts (almonds or pecans) in our sugar bowl for oatmeal mornings.

We only use long cooking Quaker Oatmeal. It cooks quick and easy in the microwave in a Rubbermaid container. Here are more topping suggestions from Quaker:

• Raisins and brown sugar
  • Low-fat granola and skim milk
  • Currants and golden raisins
  • Frozen raspberries and blueberries are my favorite!
  • Raspberry nonfat yogurt and dried cranberries
  • Apricot fruit spread and sliced almonds
  • Sliced strawberries and plain nonfat yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon
  • Maple flavored pancake syrup and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds
  • Canned crushed pineapple, sliced bananas, and chopped nuts
  • Strawberry nonfat yogurt and sliced kiwi
  • Sliced bananas and vanilla nonfat yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon
  • Reduced fat peanut butter and strawberry fruit spread
  • Chopped dates, raisins, and walnuts
  • Coarsely chopped canned peaches and ground ginger
  • Diced dried apricots and honey
  • Apple butter and raisins
  • Blueberry fruit spread and vanilla or plain nonfat yogurt
  • Orange marmalade and dried cranberries
  • Coarsely chopped apple and brown sugar
  • Reduced fat caramel topping and a sprinkle of chopped pecans
  • Warm apple pie filling and skim milk
  • Honey crunch flavor wheat germ and cinnamon
  • Canned pear slices and maple flavor pancake syrup
  • Skim milk and sliced peaches
  • Mixed dried fruit
  • Cherry preserves and wheat germ
  • Diced cranberries and maple flavored pancake syrup
  • Chunky natural applesauce
  • Sliced bananas and mini-semisweet chocolate morsels
  • Blueberries and sliced strawberries sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar
  • Canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice

The soluble fiber found in oats and oat bran has been shown to help reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the Author

Homeschool mom to 11, Marmee to 14 and author.

Comments (27)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Becca says:

Mmmm! Yummy ideas! No more boring oatmeal for me now!

Becca’s last blog post..Happy Easter!

2. Bren says:

Your web page is wonderful! Lots of great information on nutrition!! I’ll be back!!

Bren’s last blog post..Tackle It Tuesday

3. What a great list! My favorite oatmeal topping is dried cranberries and pecans. Cinnamon and brown sugar are a must! (We call all these oatmeal toppings, “The Oatmeal Bar”.)

Totallyscrappy’s last blog post..WFMW: Party-in-a-Bag

4. Sonshine says:

Thanks for all the ideas!! Now I have some different things to even add into my oatmeal muffins :)

Sonshine’s last blog post..Weblink Wednesday

5. Wendy says:

Thanks for all of the ideas. We get tired of the same old thing. Maybe I can even sneak in some things that the kids don’t know they like!

Wendy’s last blog post..Yummy Oatmeal Toppings

6. Sarah says:

We eat a lot of oatmeal, but your idea will make it even more palatable to my kids. Great idea! :)

Sarah’s last blog post..Works For Me Wednesday

7. Diane says:

Wow! I am so impressed with the length and variety of your list. As it is still snowing here today, we’ll be taking advantage of your hard work for a while yet.
    Thanks!

Diane’s last blog post..Christian Medi-Share(Works for Me Wednesday)

8. GP says:

awesome ideas … and great food for thought for this innkeeper :lol:

hugs gp in montana

GP’s last blog post..Dances with Horses

9. Kathleen says:

Robin, you’re making me hungry!! These all sound so good – especially the warm apple pie filling. I’ve never thought of adding anything but a little bit of brown sugar to my oatmeal – thanks for this list.

10. Sisterlisa says:

YUM! I love oatmeal and we had it for breakfast today! We used a menagerie of toppings.

Sisterlisa’s last blog post..Spring Clean Tub

11. Chrissy says:

Great list! My toddler has been on an oatmeal kick for about a month now, and I usually add raisins or blueberries to it. I’ll have to try some of your other recommendations. Thanks!

Chrissy’s last blog post..Links for New Moms

12. Char says:

Wow, what a great list! Now I’m hungry, and it’s not even breakfast time!

And thanks for visiting my site today!

Char’s last blog post..?Happily Ever After? Brag Book Quick Pages

13. Oh, this is making me hungry! What a great idea to do it “Sundae Style”.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Alyssa

Kingdom First Mom’s last blog post..Special Walgreen

14. Kim says:

what great suggestions. Thanks!

Kim’s last blog post..Works For Me Wednesday – Perusing Weekly Grocery Ads

15. Mamacita says:

Mmmm. Great suggestions. Makes me hungry – thanks!

Mamacita’s last blog post..WFMW: Cleaning Crevices of White Cabinetry

16. These toppings all sound so good! You are so creative to come up with so many! My family loves oatmeal…and these toppings might give me some more variety options for them. Thanks!

17. Michele says:

Those all look really yummy!
    Thanks for visiting my blog!
    Blessings,
    Michele :)

Michele’s last blog post..Works For Me Wednesday: Finding Books

18. Tafy Sills says:

Hi! I’m not a big fan of oatmeal or cereal for that matter, but you list of toppings make me want to try oatmeal again, well…maybe. :lol: Thank you for dropping by my blog for a visit. Come again soon.

Tafy Sills from Blackberry Lane Farm

19. Martha Bible says:

Hey Robin!

While most of those toppings sound really good to me, most of my family simply WON’T eat oatmeal :sad: no matter the toppings or how it’s cooked. This is apparently because of “sensation issues,” a term one of my son’s occupational therapists taught me several years back. On the other hand I’ve grown to love oatmeal and oatbran, but not normally for breakfast. I simply use a little Mrs. Dash, and there ya have it, a hot spicy, side dish chock full of yummy nutrition!

Love,
    Marty

20. [...] Yummy Oatmeal Toppings [...]

21. Audra Krell says:

You rock! Thanks for putting this great list together. We have no excuse now for not eating more oatmeal.

22. Children will warm up to heart healthy oatmeal if you let them put on “Sundae” type toppings. http://budurl.com/oatmealtop

23. [...] homemade granola. In the winter, though, it isn’t happening. This morning, I came across a post at Robin’s Heart of Wisdom/Heart at Home blog, which includes a huge list of toppings to [...]

24. eating oatmeal with pecans and raisins. More yummy oatmeal toppings http://budurl.com/oatmealtop

25. Oatmeal with cranberries and pecans. Yum More topppings ideas http://bit.ly/whuiw

26. Weight loss tip: In winter I eat oatmeal every lunch w yummy healthy toppings http://ow.ly/Pl5W

27. Yummy Oatmeal Toppings : Heart at Home http://ow.ly/15rOb