The American medical system is among the best care the world for treating accidents, but ranks with the lowest in the world for treatment of disease. We have higher rates of infant mortality, diabetes, heart disease, and other ills than many other developed countries.
This week I received several test results from my primary care doctor (not my nutritionist/chiropractor), with a few suggestions for treatment.
The doctor’s recommendation included several medications that have very serious and debilitating long-term side effects. What the doctor didn’t tell me is that there are several completely safe alternatives that have no side effects.
Symptoms: Throbbing, aching bone pain. Tests: Blood work, X-rays, bone scan.
- Osteopenia is a precursor to osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is the thinning of bone tissue and loss of bone density over time.
- Treatment Suggested: Bisphosphonates (Actonel, Boniva, Fosamax, Reclast) prescription medication for the management of postmenopausal osteoporosis.
What My Doctor Did Not Tell Me About Osteoporosis Drugs
–Sally Fields doesn’t mention these in her Boniva commercials:
- that long-term use of osteoporosis drugs can actually make bones brittle and more likely to fracture
- that the side effects from osteoporosis drugs include: throat pain, chest pain, or difficulty swallowing, ulcers of the esophagus, severe heartburn, severe bone, muscle, or joint pain, jaw or tooth problems, back pain, bronchus, abdominal pain, diarrhea, headaches, infections, weakness, vomiting, high cholesterol, muscle pain, arthritis, dizziness (vertigo), pneumonia, sore throat, bladder infection (urinary tract infection or UTI), constipation, insomnia.
What My Doctor Did Not Tell Me About Alternatives
- regular exercise and vitamin and mineral supplements can reduce and even reverse loss of bone density.
- widespread occurrence of Osteopenia in the developed world is related to SAD (standard American diet) and a sedentary lifestyle.
- Osteoporosis and Osteopenia are almost unknown in parts of the world where diets are primarily fresh fruits and vegetables.
- to cut back on acid forming foods (meat, fish, dairy, grains, legumes, nuts, soda pop, caffeine) and increase alkaline foods (vegetables, fruit) to increase bone density.
- a fresh, organic salad each day can improve bone density.
- dried plums (prunes), onions, and sage can each improve bone density.
- the nutrient rich green drinks I recently added to my daily diet should make a huge improvement in bone density in the next 12 to 24 months without prescription medication.
- Pray for wisdom before going to the doctor.
- Research and compare your doctor’s recommendations with alternative medicine recommendations.
- Change your diet! The Standard American Diet (SAD) increases the risk of cancer, heart disease, stroke, intestinal disorders—just about any illness. Eat more of God’s foods (plant-based: vegetables, fruits, nuts, etc.) and less of man’s foods (processed foods). Cultures that eat the reverse of the standard American diet—low fat, high in complex carbohydrates, plant-based, and high in fiber—have a lower incidence of cancer and coronary artery disease.
- Drink Green Smoothies - I created the information Green Smoothie Forum for those interested in adding vegetables and fruits into their diet in a delicious and easy way. See What is a Green Smoothie?
For the last two years, my sister, Charlotte (age 48), has been in and out of the hospital 20 some times battling MRSA (a strain of staph bacteria that’s become resistant to most antibiotics).
I’m doing research to find out what her doctors are not telling her.
The week she was admitted in to the hospital again with pneumonia. They found the port that administers antibiotics into her system was also infected with MRSA and needed to be removed. A lung X-ray revealed a mass. I’d appreciate your prayers.