We are so blessed to homeschool in the Internet age. Pick any state or country and you can find an online video then goes on a virtual field trip. I utilize online resources and and record movies and documentaries on TV.
Now, with Amazon TV Fire Stick we can watch YouTube on TV! (no monthly cost)
My boys have a very good foundation in American geography. We used several resources but the main ones were these two DVD series:
- How the States got their Shapes (often on TV; search your channels and set to record)
- The States DVD Set free online (due to slow Internet connection I purchased 4 DVDs for $9. I guess it caught on because now the $9 DVDs are $46.00).
How the States Got Their Shapes
- DISC 1: A River Runs Through It / The Great Plains, Trains, & Automobiles / Force of Nature / State of Rebellion
- DISC 2: Living on the Edge / Use it Or Lose It / Church and States / A Boom With A View
- DISC 3: Culture Clash / Mouthing Off
- DISC 4: Bonus Special: How the States Got Their Shapes
History Classics The States
Amazon Instant Videos
Find hundreds of biographies, history, science and geography videos with Amazon Instant Videos.
Free Online Geography Games
- Catch the Capital
- Drag Race
- Where Is That?
- MapTron Select-the-State Game
- Place the State
- Mr. Nussbaums Conquer the States
More Video Resources
These are the main resources I have bookmarked:
- History Channel: The States
- You Tube
- Teacher Tube
- Educational Videos
- Discovery Education (subscription)
- BrainPOP ( subscription)
Subscribe for 65 pages from The Heart Wisdom Teaching Approach (pdf)