The number forty occurs 146 times in the Bible, It usually generally symbolizes a period of testing, trial or probation. Mem (maym), the thirteenth letter of the Hebrew alphabet; its numerical value is forty.
- 40 Days of Flood Waters (Genesis 7:4,12,17; 8:6)
- 40 Years old Moses was called by God
- 40 Years in the Egypt for Moses
- 40 Years in the Desert for Moses before God selected him to lead his people out of slavery.
- 40 Days Moses was on Mount Sinai on two separate occasions (Exodus 24:18, 34:1 – 28), receiving God’s laws.
- 40 Years wandering in the desert for the Israelites. Numbers 32,13
- 40 Days Moses sent spies, to investigate the land God promised the Israelites (Numbers 13:25, 14:34).
- 40 Cubits the holy place of the temple was forty cubits long (1 Kings 6:17).
- 40 Years of peace forty-year periods of peace: Judges 3:11; 5:31; 8:28
- 40 Years old Isaac was when he married Rebekah. (Genesis 25,20
- 40 Days of Selichot (teshuvah before Rosh Hashanah)
- 40 Days Jonah warned ancient Nineveh.
- 40 Days embalming of Jacob prolonged during 40 days. (Genesis 50,3)
- 40 Years reign of King Saul
- 40 Years reign of King David (1 K 2,11 and 11,42;)
- 40 Years reign of King Solomon in Jerusalem. ( 2 Ch 9,30)
- 40 Days Elijah went without food or water at Mount Horeb.
- 40 Days Ezekiel laid on His right side for 40 days to symbolize Judah’s sins
- 40 Days after birth Jesus was presented to the Temple of Jerusalem for his legal purification
- 40 Days of fasting by Jesus in the desert (Mt 4:1-2 pp Mk 1:13 pp Lk 4:1-2)
- 40 Months Jesus preached
- 40 Days after his resurrection from the dead Jesus appeared to his disciples. (Acts 1:3)
- 40 Stripes was the maximum number allowed for anyone to be punished (Duet 25:3).
Image from the Quick View Bible
Approximately 83% of human understanding occurs visually; that’s where the NIV QuickView Bible comes in. This hardcover Bible features color-coded sections of the Bible for easy navigation, and over 360 full-color graphics presenting critical information from Scripture in an interesting way.
If you liked this would you pin the image below on Pinterest?
Subscribe for 65 pages from The Heart Wisdom Teaching Approach (pdf)