When I found out you can use the Kindle Wireless Reading Device to read the classics free I made my purchase.
Click to view the Top 100 FREE Kindle Ebooks at Amazon
The Kindle is absolutely amazing. It can hold thousands of books. Having several books to choose from in one hand is marvelous! In my opinion (I read about 8 hours a day), it’s the best thing since the computer. Here is a video giving an overview.
With a Kindle you can:
- read the classics to your children. Download free classics: Top 100 FREE Kindle Ebooks at Amazon
- automatically recieve newspaper or magazine subscriptions.
- jump from a Bible passage, to a Bible commentary, to classic fiction, to home organization, to a children’s book, to marriage help, etc. as the mood strikes and never move from your chair. I love bouncing back and forth between books (because my mind bounces around –just ask my dh)
- connect to the Internet free (no monthly fees). It is not designed for web surfing but you can email, browse Amazon, Wikipedia encyclopedia, and Twitter!
- look up words in the built-in dictionary
- adjust the type size (great for those over 40).
- easily find your place (each time you click on a book you are taken to the last page you read).
- search the books by keyword.
- highlight passages, make marginal notes, and “turn the corners” electronically.
- “clip” passages and upload to your computer. As an author this is my favorite feature. I can upload my research quickly and easily without typing (plus, the bibliography information is automatically included).
- carry around hundreds of books in one hand anywhere. It’s lighter and smaller than most books.
- read it easily (very clear, not back-lit like a cell phone).
- buy new books, and start reading them in seconds because Kindle has an automatic wireless hook up to Amazon (like a cell phone).
- use it as an MP3 player. Click here to see how.
Now it’s even better.
- All-New, High-Contrast E Ink Screen – 50% better contrast with latest E Ink Pearl technology
- Read in Bright Sunlight – No glare
- New and Improved Fonts – New crisper, darker fonts
- New Sleek Design – 21% smaller body while keeping the same 6″ size reading area
- 17% Lighter – Only 8.5 ounces, weighs less than a paperback
- Battery Life of Up to One Month – A single charge lasts up to one month with wireless off
- Double the Storage – Up to 3,500 books
- Built-In Wi-Fi – Shop and download books in less than 60 seconds
- 20% Faster Page Turns – Seamless reading
- Enhanced PDF Reader – With dictionary lookup, notes, and highlights
- New WebKit-Based Browser – Browse the web over Wi-Fi (experimental)
Getting Free Books to Use with Kindle or Your Computer
If you don’t have a Kindle, you can still get the books free on your computer. Project Gutenberg offers the books free. Thanks to people all over the world you can read a variety of books just by visiting gutenberg.org and search a bit till you find something that interests you. There are tens of thousands of books available, many are true classics, and all of them have been hand selected by people who love them enough to take hours or sometimes months out of their lives to proofread or publish them in a text format you can download.
Gutenberg Book Catalog
- Online Catalog: main page with browsing options.
- Advanced Search: search page with more search options.
- Recent eBooks, updated nightly. Newly added or changed ebook files.
RSS Feed of recent eBooks, updated nightly.
- Top 100 Books and Authors: the most downloaded books and authors.
More Places to Download Free Books Online