A heart-healthy oatmeal breakfast is a super nutritious way to start the day. Oats contain a bio-active, anti-oxidant compound called avenanthramide that could be responsible for cleaner arteries, prevention of fatty buildup, and reducing the risk of heart disease and cancer. They are also a concentrated source of fiber and nutrients.
Children will warm up to oatmeal if you let them put on sundae-type toppings (see list below). I keep raisins and nuts (almonds or pecans) in our sugar bowl for oatmeal mornings. Sweeten with honey or stevia or just the toppings. (Note Craisins are not listed as they are packed with added sugar.)
33 Easy, Healthy, & Delicious Oatmeal Toppings
Sugar Free & Gluten Free
- Chopped dates, apples, and walnuts (my favorite!)
- Passion fruit
- Chopped cherries
- Pomegranate seeds
- Golden raisins and mint leaves
- Frozen raspberries and blueberries
- Chopped Prunes (underrated, delicious)
- Raspberry Greek yogurt and raisins
- Apricot Allfruit Jelly and sliced almonds
- Sliced strawberries and plain nonfat yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon
- Diced mango and coconut
- Crushed pineapple, sliced bananas, and chopped nuts
- Strawberry Greek yogurt and sliced kiwi
- Sliced bananas and vanilla Greek yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon
- Almond butter and strawberry fruit spread
- Chopped peaches and ground ginger
- Diced dried apricots and honey
- Apple butter and raisins
- Shredded carrots and chopped walnuts
- Blueberry fruit spread and vanilla Greek yogurt
- Orange marmalade and raisins
- Coarsely chopped apple and chia seeds
- Chopped pecans and peaches.
- Wheat germ and cinnamon
- Sliced peaches or pears
- Mixed dried fruit
- Cherry preserves and wheat germ
- Chunky natural applesauce
- Sliced bananas and mini-semisweet chocolate morsels
- Blueberries and sliced strawberries sprinkled with cinnamon and stevia
- Canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice
- Mandarin orange slices and grapes
- Figs (more potassium than bananas)
The soluble fiber found in oats and oat bran has been shown to help reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol.
What’s In McDonald’s Oatmeal?
Is Steel-Cut Better Than Rolled Oats?
I use steel-cut oats, but both steel-cut and rolled oats are super nutritious.
Eating God’s Way Facebook Group
Join us on Facebook for free tips, ideas, education, links, and encouragement on how to feed your family nutritionally.
Subscribe for 65 pages from The Heart Wisdom Teaching Approach (pdf)