Shredded potatoes, grated onions bound with flour, salt and eggs, then fried in oil.
Hey, that sounds like a potato pancake! Well, it is, however, there is a difference between a Hanukkah latke and a plain old everyday potato pancake.
A Hanukkah latke is not just food. It’s a tradition, a symbol, a statement of identity.
The underground growth of the potatoes and onions reminds us of the plight that is so often a part of the human condition: so far down we are looking up to the earthworms, made from the dirt and soon to return there.
Yet in our deepest distress, God’s Spirit (represented by the olive oil) is still right there for us. We can safely trust Him to bring us through our darkest, coldest night into His magnificent Light.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, He took our darkness upon Himself, and died and was buried for us in the ground. But He came back to life for us to enjoy, by following Him, God’s Light and Life, and the fulfillment of all His promises.
Good Housekeeping Potato Latkes Recipe
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoon(s) chopped chives
- 2 tablespoon(s) matzo meal or all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon(s) grated onion
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pound(s) baking potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup(s) vegetable oil, for frying
- Applesauce and sour cream
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with paper towels.
- In bowl, with fork, lightly beat egg. Stir in chives, matzo meal, onion, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. In food processor with shredding disk, shred potatoes. Place potatoes in colander in sink; squeeze out liquid. Stir potatoes into egg mixture.
- In nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Drop potato mixture by scant 1/4 cups into oil to make 6 latkes. Flatten each latke into 3-inch round.
- Cook latkes 8 to 10 minutes or until both sides are browned and crisp, turning over once. With slotted spatula, transfer to lined cookie sheet. Keep warm.
- Repeat, stirring mixture each time before frying and adding more oil for each batch. Serve with applesauce and sour cream.
Potato Latkes Recipe
- 12 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- A dash of pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (use with flour)
- 1/3 cup sifted flour, matzo meal, or bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Apple sauce or sour cream for dipping
Grate onion, and potatoes. Add eggs and sifted dry ingredients. Drop by tablespoonful into a skillet heated with 1/8-1/4 inch oil. Brown and turn. Serves 8-10 adults. Serve hot with applesauce or sour cream.
- Hanukkah Lapbook
- Free Printable Hanukkah Stickers (BibleJournalLove.com)
- Why Are Christians Celebrating Hanukkah?
- Christians are Celebrating Hanukkah
- Hanukkah Readings for Eight Nights
- Hanukkah History
- Manifesting the Light of Jesus
- How to Spell Hanukkah
- Jewish Customs of Hanukkah