On the surface, those letters stand for “Nes Gadol Hayah Sham – A great miracle happened there” Each player puts the same amount of something— nuts, raisins, pennies, or chocolate coins in the middle, which is called “the pot”. Play proceeds clockwise around the circle of players. Each player takes a turn spinning the Dreidel. Whatever the Dreidel lands on decides what you are to do.
- HAY: you get half of the pot.
- GIMEL: you get ALL of the pot.
- NUNE: you get nothing.
- SHIN: you must put 1 (nut, or raising, or penny, etc.) in the pot
Click here to get the 8.5 x 1 pattern. Print out on card stock cut out and make your own dreidel.
Learn More About Hanukkah
- View all Hanukkah Articles on this site
- A Family Guide to the Biblical Holidays Ebook (600 p)
- A Family Guide to the Biblical Holidays (600 p Paperback)
- Hanukkah, Purim and Sabbath (EBook) (200+ p)
Hanukkah, Purim, Sabbath Ebook $17.00 over 250 pages Add to cart